Despite its capital status Berlin has no representative airport so far – which leads to the hassle of few direct flights to international destinations and the question of how to spend your time at Tegel or Schönefeld when your flight is delayed since both airports are very small.
When you have several hours, go back home or to the city center as both airports are close to the city. If you have less time try this:
- Find out that “Tegel” is only one label – which man is honored by giving his name to the airport as well? (No internet research allowed!) One tip: He died in a plane crash.
- Find the Starbucks in the airport (This is a tricky one! I once thought I was at the wrong airport when somebody told me to meet at the Starbucks.)
- Walk around the circle of Tegel and count your steps. Add some entertainment for the other passengers by a) counting loudly b) running c) running trailing your luggage behind you! I assume that should take less than 3 minutes when you shout out loud enough so people jump out of your way (“Bahn frei, Osterei!”).
Please write down your records and I will try to beat them next time I fly from Tegel!
Airport name: Berlin Tegel Airport.
IATA code: TXL
Design factor: 1/5
Shopping factor: 1/5
Toilets factor: 2/5
Overall factor: 3/5 (because it’s just 10 minutes from my home and easy to reach!)
Talking about Bush I see another great way of spending your time at the airport – watching out for celebrities! Guess how many I have seen so far? NONE. Neither in the plane. Do stars not fly economy or what?!
However, stars have a busy international life thus they need to fly and use airports. People magazine even has a special category called “Stars Airport Style“. Have a look so you recognize Mariah Carey next time you queue in front of her at the Duty Free or in Easyjet’s A-queue (which is as VIP as you can get without paying 15 Euros more for Speedy Boarding 😉 )
So which stars did you meet so far? … wonders Christiane
15 minutes delay for my flight to Berlin? GREAT! Because – LADIES – that’s all you need! Head downstairs to the A departure level and check out my Top 3 which are just next to each other:
- Go to the comfy ladies bathroom and realize by checking your make-up that you look just gorgeous! This wonderful body needs to be treated well with…
- … chocolate! Stop at the chocolate waterfall of “Chocolate Box” next door and spend your money on your favourite bar.
- … gems! Your desire for eye candies can be satisfied at “Accessorize”. One can never have too much jewellery!
After all that, head happily to your gate with the nice thought of enjoying your chocolate while looking at London from the sky).
Airport name: London Heathrow (Terminal 5) Short code: LHR
Design factor: 4/5
Shopping factor: 3/5
Toilets factor: 4/5
Overall factor: 4/5
P.S. I am curious what the guys have to say about Terminal 5! I saw them handing out free shots of Whisky at the Worldofdutyfree, that should make it on to the list. As well as the comfy sofas in the waiting area. But don’t forget to check out Gucci and Tiffany’s and buy some small souvenir for your lefthome girlfriend! 😉