Last week we started the big LAX review by describing what you can do if you have ample time at Los Angeles International Airport (IATA: LAX). For example, we showed you that you can reach the beach in 5 minutes or where you can dine in a sixties environment and spot exotic planes at the same time. In part two we are going to highlight what you can do if you are the active type or if you wanted to shop outside the airport. We then wrap it up with the popular ‘top-things-to-do list’.
So what can you do at LAX if I want to be active but don’t want to get wet?
As with so many questions before, you are in luck at LAX as the immediate airport area even includes an 18 hole golf course: Westchester Golf Course. Didn’t bring your clubs? Don’t worry, you can rent a set of clubs there (USD 15 per set).
Anything else just outside of the airport?
Yep, again, the choice is yours: aviation enthusiasts shouldn’t miss the “Flight Path Learning Center” which features aviation relics such as uniforms, model aircraft, photographs and paintings. It also offers modern flight simulators. Sadly it is only accessible by car, so catching cab is your best option. It shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes to get there though.
Aside from that you may want to explore the nearby area called Westchester Business District which features many shops and cafes. From terminal 1 it’s only a 20-minute-walk. On your way there you will also come across an outlet of the celebrity endorsed In-and-Out Burger chain.
As you saw through part one and two of this incredibly diverse airport, there is a ton of things for you to do when you have ample time. This wouldn’t be LateDeparture though if we didn’t provide you with the top picks, neatly wrapped together:
- Eat a hot dog at the famous “Pinks Hot Dog” outlet, located in the international terminal in the food court
- Hit an LA beach, only 5 minutes from the airport by cab
- Go to Hollywood in only one hour for no more than USD 8.50
- Catch a picture of the famous LAX airport sign
- Eat lunch at Encounter, the airport’s famous space-themed restaurant from the sixties (see photo above)
- Rent some clubs and play a round of golf at Westchester’s 18 hole par 64 golf course located right next to the airport
- Grab a burger “Animal Style” at In-and-Out Burgers, only 10 minutes from terminal 1
- Visit the Flight Path Learning Center and learn about the airport’s past, then have a go at one of their modern flight simulators
- Follow one of the resident airport paparazzi and spot a celebrity
|Airport Name||Los Angeles International Airport|
[Picture from Los Angeles World Airports – all rights reserved]